New Jersey law requires that municipalities appoint a certified Animal Control Officer (ACO) to be responsible for animal control within the
jurisdiction of the municipality. Animal Control Officers become certified by completing a 3-credit course approved by the NJ Department of
Health and Senior Services. A Certified Animal Cruelty Investigator, is responsible to investigate instances of animal abuse or cruelty.
Bernards Township Animal Control Officer/Cruelty Investigator: Michelle Wysocki, ACO, ACI
Contact Animal Control Officer: 908-204-3066 ◊ For an Animal Control Emergency after 4 pm and on weekends: 908-766-1122
AC Essentials in NJ
BT PAWS Dog Run
Disasters and Your Pet
Pet License Information
Pet License Application
Protect Your Pet in a Disaster
The Bernards Township Animal Control Officer is responsible for the following in Bernards Township & Peapack
and Gladstone Borough:
- Dog and cat licensing and record keeping (Bernards only)
- Maintains a dog/cat census (Bernards only)
- Facilitates animal adoption as needed
- Investigation of animal bites including rabid domestic or wild animals
- Confinement or impoundment of biting animals
- Investigation of lost, stray, injured or nuisance domestic animals
- Evaluation and veterinary care for injured animals
- Education of the public on care of domestic animals and lifestyle of wild animals
In addition, in all seven contractual towns, the BT ACO is responsible for:
- Rabies Control including Rabies clinics
Please note: If your dog or cat is injured and without identification, the Animal Control Officer is required by law to seek medical
treatment. The cost incurred for treatment will be the owner's responsibility.
Those who have been bitten by a domestic or wild animal should seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY!
The treating healthcare provider will report the bite to the Animal Control Officer with details of the animal and the bite.
The Animal Control Officer will follow-up with victim and the pet owner to ensure rabies prevention.
To report animal neglect or abuse call 908-204-3066
The Bernards Township Health Department is a Contractual Health Agency serving: Bernards Township, Bernardsville Borough, Chester Borough,
Long Hill Township, Mendham Borough, Mendham Township, Peapack and Gladstone Borough.