Environmental Contaminants in the Home
- Is a highly toxic (poisonous) metal.
- Is found in paint, ceramics, pipes, solders, gasoline, batteries, and cosmetics.
- Common sources of lead exposure are lead-based paint in older homes, contaminated soil, household dust, drinking water,
lead crystal, and lead-glazed toys, jewelry and pottery.
- Can cause lack of muscular coordination, convulsions and coma, changes in children’s mental development and behavior.
- Protect your family from lead in your home
is a type of fungus that may grow in a house where there are warm, moist conditions. It reproduces by making spores which can break
off and float through the air. Some people are sensitive to molds which can cause nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing,
or skin irritation. Some molds can cause severe reactions or illness. Mold should be cleaned up and prevented from growing.
It must be removed in a safe manner.
For more information on lead and lead poisoning:
For more information about mold and its hazards:
- An odorless, tasteless, and invisible gas that occurs naturally in soil.
- Produced by natural breakdown of uranium and radium in rocks.
- In higher concentrations in certain areas of New Jersey.
- Estimated to cause 21,000 lung cancer deaths annually.
- A leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.
- The second leading cause of lung cancer overall.
- Blamed for large increases in risk of lung cancer in smokers.
- Found in a high percentage of Somerset County homes to exceed the radon action level of 4 picocuries per liter (NJDEP).
is a colorless and odorless gas It is mainly found as a product of incomplete combustion from vehicles and oil or gas burners.
Poisoning from carbon monoxide often results from improper ventilation in buildings or inhalation from vehicles, generators or
gas heaters. It is important to prevent poisoning through monitoring and detection.
The Bernards Township Health Department is a Contractual Health Agency serving: Bernards Township, Bernardsville Borough, Chester Borough,
Long Hill Township, Mendham Borough, Mendham Township, Peapack and Gladstone Borough.