Environmental Health Overview
The Environmental Health section is staffed by Registered Environmental
Health Specialists (REHS) licensed by the NJ Department of Health and Senior Services. They are responsible to provide for the health and
well-being of the residents of Bernards Township and its contractual municipalities by providing State-mandated services as described below.
Protect and promote proper handling of food in retail
food establishments, including:
- issuing a retail food establishment license,
- conducting inspections of retail food establishments,
- reviewing design plans of new retail food establishments, and
- investigating food borne illness complaints.
(See example) View CHAPTER 24 Sanitation in Retail Food
Septic, Soil Tests, Wells
Preserve and protect the quality of surface and groundwater supplies through the enforcement of state and local codes for septic systems and wells by:
- reviewing proposed designs for new septic systems, alterations, and repairs,
- inspecting the installation and abandonment of septic systems and wells, and
- witnessing soil logs and soil permeability tests for subdivisions and septic systems.
Environmental Services Fee Schedule
Soil Perc Test
Public Health Inspections
Enforce state codes for the following facilities by:
- inspecting public recreational bathing facilities including public pools, lakes and ponds,
- inspecting nursery schools, child day care centers and youth camps, and
- inspecting pet kennels and pet shops.
Inspect any public health complaints such as garbage, vermin, mosquito harborage, and septic system malfunctions.
What is a Registered
Health Specialist (REHS?)
The Bernards Township Health Department is a Contractual Health Agency serving: Bernards Township, Bernardsville Borough, Chester Borough,
Long Hill Township, Mendham Borough, Mendham Township, Peapack and Gladstone Borough.